IMPORTER SECURITY FILING (ISF) / 10 + 2
On January 26, 2009, Customs implemented the Importer Security Filing (ISF) program, better known as 10 + 2.
This program establishes the requirement that the importer or their agent supply to U.S. Customs various import information at least 24 hours prior to sailing of the ship carrying their goods to the United States. This information gives U.S. Customs, the U.S. Coast Guard, and Homeland Security advance targeting information on threatening cargo moving to the United States. The information is quite basic, but covers shipper and consignee information as well as descriptions and quantities of cargo that is moving. While the program started on the 26 th , it will take Customs the next year to "tweak" the system before becoming fully mandatory next year.
Customs has stated that this will be a flexible enforcement period and that they will show restraint in enforcing the rule, so long as importers are making satisfactory progress and good faith efforts toward compliance.
10 + 2 means that the importer supplies 10 import data elements while the carrier supplies the remaining 2.
The "10" which must be filed 24 hours in advance of the sailing, breaks down as follows:
- The name and address of the manufacturer of the goods
- The name and address of the seller of the goods
- The name and address of the buyer of the goods
- The name and address of the consignee of the goods
- The Importer of Record name and Federal Tax Number
- The Consignee Federal Tax Number
- Name and location where the container was loaded along with container and seal information
- Master Ocean Bill of Lading Number
- Country of Origin of the Goods
- The Harmonized Number of the goods
The "2" is information that must be supplied by the steamship company, including:
- Stowage of Cargo on their ship,
- The Container Status information which is their electronic updates with Customs.
As Importer, you will be responsible to insure that this information is timely filed with Customs or penalties and/or seizure can occur. Without this information, your shipments will not sail.
Dell Will can offer solutions to you and can work with your shipping department to comply with these regulations. Please feel free to contact us about pricing and scheduling options.